Saturday 20 January 2018

A Matter of Perspective


Mizzy BunnyButt at the pond.



As well as colour & sun, all my summer photos spill beyond the borders of the lens.

<=  Take a look at Mizzy BunnyButt next to a pond in our last garden.  

By contrast, my winter garden photos are of the small joys, puzzles & surprises.  Here's a few from this week.






1.  I've been relocating aconite with every move for 10 years now.  Not having seen its sassy little face in my garden for 11 months, I feared it simply hadn't survived.  You cannot imagine (or maybe you can) my joy on stepping out the back door one morning to see this delightful prodigal.



First aconite.


2.  Equally cheery are the garlic chives sown as seeds last year.  I'm hoping we'll see blossoms this summer.

A few years ago, I read an article that said weeding to bare ground deprives your garden's ecosystem of travel routes from earth to plant to infinity.  As a result, I consider it a virtue not to over-weed my pots.  Even so, this one could use a slight tidy.  Very slight.



Garlic chives in their little weed pot.


3.  Something which has caused me pause this week are the lilies inherited from my son's uni days.  Most've been planted in the bed & show no signs of life, nor do they appear to've been robbed by the fox. The potted ones, on the other hand, are striking forth.  I'll definitely be watching this space.  



Look out, here we come.


4.  Another puzzle comes courtesy the candelabra primula.  They did well in this spot over the summer, but now look like they want to go walkabout.  I'd worked & composted the soil before planting last year, so this really surprises me.  Any suggestions?



Candelabra on the move.


5.  It's only January & there's a broken egg under the bird feeder.  Although pigeons & doves breed all year round in warmer climates, I thought it too early here for them to start.

My dog's hair being next to it made me think a nest'd been knocked about by the wind or a predator.  



Broken egg & DoodleFace hair.


After taking several photos outside, I scooped up the egg & brought it inside with hopes of getting a better photo.  Once given a proper look, it's obvious that the Doodle hair wasn't part of a nest.  



Brought inside for a photo shoot.


6.  I've been watching the buds on one of my favourite plants, the sorberia.  You can bet I did a little dervish at the sight of its leaves coming out.     

My delight faded when I couldn't get a good photo - the leaves were always blurred.  Then I noticed that the ground (which was about a metre below the branch) was in perfect focus.  I needed a backdrop to change my camera's perspective.  

It took a few permutations, figuring out how to hold the hat & take the photo - I even tried balancing the hat on my knee because my one-handed photo-ing wasn't very steady.  Eventual success.  

Aren't they lovely, lovely leaves . . .



Have hat, will sorberia.



What'll snake across my path next week?



Thus comes the end of my Six on Saturday.  Do run over to the creator of this hashtag, The Propagator for his Six, as well as links to many other half dozens in his comment section.

Hope to see you again for the next Six to take my fancy.

2 comments:

  1. So exciting to see the new growth coming. Nothing has been nibbled or knocked or succumbed to disease yet! One of my Helliborus has come up out of the ground like your primula. I was thinking of digging it up carefully and replanting it deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try your suggestion. The bed got quite waterlogged at one stage, so perhaps the primula got knocked about & lost its place. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete